Thursday, September 6, 2012

Vicarious Food Preservation


For those of you living vicariously in Florida, I thought I'd post pictures of some of my food preservation (mis)adventures.  The other day I spent a busy afternoon processing tomatoes, hanging basil to dry (we're full up on pesto), and roasting chili peppers bound for the freezer.

Tomatoes in the sauce pot
Basil hung to dry on my pots / everything rack
Roasted pepper ashes

Apparently, my grill runs a little on the hot side?



 ETA: In a separate incident, I decided to ferment the last few cucumbers of the season using the recipe from Wild Fermentation.  I was particularly excited to get to use some of the leaves from my very own grapevine!  N is entirely disgusted by everything I ferment, but I am finding that much like hand-picking insects, skimming the mold off the top gets less icky every time.

3 comments:

  1. I never thought about the fact that a good chunk of your readers are in Florida!

    I've never made sauce with skin-on tomatoes. How does that work? Do you pick out the peels at the end, or grind them up, or are they in small enough chunks that they don't bother you?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hooray for you - say can you stuff those grape leaves (I think you have to parboil them first) and then add cooked meat, feta and garlic before rolling them up and steam or such.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Susan - That sounds so delicious. When are you coming over? ;)

    @Renee Michelle - It is painful to peel tomatoes by hand because of my skin problems and probably makes my skin worse. Instead I quartered them and let the peels cook off, then removed them with a ladle while straining the seeds. It takes longer, but it's worth it to me.

    ReplyDelete