Sunday, September 9, 2012

Mystery Squash Revealed








Sigh.  I don't like making mistakes.  Especially on the internet in front of potentially millions (billions?) of people - though I comfort myself with the knowledge that probably this post is not the one that will make my blog go viral.  (Aaaaannyy day now.)

My mystery squash is not a mystery squash at all.  I finally got brave enough to cut it open last week, and learned - to my surprise - that it tasted rather good, like something I might have grown intentionally.  I was surprised because I have always read that these off-chance squash crosses are generally pretty inedible.  Then today I was going through my seeds and took a closer look at what I had thought were butternut squash seeds.  Hmmm...wasn't that picture on the front just exactly like my mystery squash?  Doh!  Those aren't butternut squash, they're buttercup squash!

You can understand a busy mom with an antsy toddler in an bustling garden center making this mistake, right?  Anyway, they're tasty and prolific (5 squash from one bug-infested plant?) so...maybe it's for the best.

1 comment:

  1. It's an edible squash, that's the important part. I enjoyed the big reveal :)

    ReplyDelete