Monday, August 27, 2012

Tromboncino Squash

Tromboncino

 Usually I grow yellow summer squash and zucchinis in equal numbers.  I grew six last year and decided that was a pretty good number, given how short the season was (at least for me - squash bugs decimated them after a few weeks of production).  This year I decided to replace two of my plants with these interesting fellows - tromboncino squash.

It seemed like a good idea at the time.  The catalog listed them (in the zucchini section) as drought-resistant, a keyword I was looking for, given my limited water access.  I also hoped they would hold up better against the squash bugs.  And actually, they are pretty vigorous.  I think I will grow them again next year.  However, there are a few things I wish had been mentioned either in the catalog description or on the seed packet:
  1. They took longer to start producing than the other summer squash
  2. They take significantly more space than the other summer squash - two plants have overrun an area about 6' x 8'
However, in their favor:
  1. They are now producing quite a bit
  2. They taste pretty similar to zucchini, but are prettier in almost everything I've cooked with them
  3. They grow in interesting shapes that are fun for kids
  4. They don't have to be picked as often as other summer squash because they seem to get quite large before they get seedy and strong-flavored
All in all, a good addition to a medium- to large-sized garden.  Next year I think I will grow them on a trellis, and plant them earlier, and plant more of my traditional summer squashes along with them.



A pile of C-shaped tromboncino

No comments:

Post a Comment