Sunday, November 20, 2011

Desperate Housewife?


I think I'm getting a little stir-crazy staying home with the boys.  I've been trying to spend a lot of time outside with them the last couple weeks, to suck up some vitamin D while the weather's been nice.  Last week, while raking the backyard for the third time in 6 days, I decided I needed a new outdoor project.  There are, after all, only so many leaves.

So, I dug these boards out from behind our shed and took stock.  N and I refer to ourselves as "junk lookers", which is to say that if we drive past a pile of someone's junk next to the curb, we slow down and take a look.  "Look, Babe, junk!"  Sometimes we then take things home.  That's where we got these boards, along with several other good solid boards that N used to build a little platform behind the shed.  So what did I do?  I spent two hours sawing wood, that's what I did.  (We really need a new wood saw.  Sadly, I never find good tools in junk piles.  But never say never, I say!)


N and R helped me assemble the cut pieces into two stackable boxes over the weekend, which I then painted.  They are 2' by almost-4'.  I cut a couple other wood scraps from N's workbench project to attach the two boxes together. 




The current plan is to put half (3) of my potted asparagus in there in the spring, along with a grapevine.  If the weather holds I'll use the trellis scraps behind the shed (more scavenged junk) to build a nice trellis to hide the side of the shed and the wire frame that will support the grapevine.  Stay tuned - this project may take a while...

2 comments:

  1. Considering the fact that you build things rather than drink cocktails with the girls when you are "desperate" I think you are doing just great. Sounds like a good use of wood.

    ReplyDelete