Sunday, July 31, 2011

Harvest Notes

Wow!  It's been a while since I did this! 

The weather recently has been really hot, with several days last week that topped 100 degrees.  I didn't realize that in such hot weather most of my plants have trouble producing seeds - the corn kernels abort, flowers fall off of the squash, cucumbers, and tomatoes, and the tomatoes that are already growing won't produce red pigment to let me know that they are ripe.  This last was a particular problem, as I left many tomatoes longer than I should have and had to throw a dozen or so out that were rotting on the vine.  Also, when temperatures dropped down into the 80's this week I had a LOT of tomatoes to pick.  Here's the tally since my last harvest notes entry:

14 (imperfect) ears of corn
3.5 oz hardneck garlic
4 handfuls green beans
5 oz (1) potato - I dug this up for fun
3 lbs, 1 oz cucumber
7 lbs, 5 oz zucchini
7 lbs, 3 oz yellow squash
26 lbs, 14 oz tomatoes - about half of these were picked yesterday!
~ 10 chili peppers
2 bell peppers (lost to squirrels, but I'm taking credit anyway - grrr!)
1 kung pao pepper

Happy vacation to me!

2 comments:

  1. Wow - that's a lot of bounty! And all this from a person that doesn't even like vegetables?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, tomatoes are fruit! And I think I may have lost my official veggie-hater status sometime last year. I no longer get the newsletter, anyway...

    ReplyDelete