Monday, May 12, 2014

Late-Spring Update

May is my busiest month of the year in the garden, so it is the hardest time to ever post anything and also the time when I feel like I have the most to say.  Lots of you have been asking me what's planted and what's growing, so here is the scoop.


Picking:
  • Asparagus (almost done)
  • Lettuce
  • Romaine
  • Cilantro (just starting)
  • Chives
  • Pac Choi (actually, just eating at this point, as it is all picked)



Growing Strong:
  • Broccoli
  • Broccoli Raab
  • Strawberries
  • Garlic
  • Onions
  • Blackberries
  • Beets
  • Carrots
  • Potatoes (Yukon Gold)
  • Peas
  • Asparagus (seedlings)
  • Sunflowers (decorative)
  • Rosemary
  • Lemon Balm



Growing...Ehhh....:
  • Blueberries
  • Grapes
  • Cabbage
  • Lilac
  • Spinach



Recently Planted/Transplanted:
  • Tomatoes
  • Kale
  • Fennel
  • Edamame
  • Watermelon
  • Winter Squash
  • Pumpkin
  • Pickling Cucumbers 
  • Parsley
  • Sunflowers (for seed)



Soon to be Planted/Transplanted:
  • Slicing Cucumbers
  • Summer Squash
  • Zinnias
  • Zucchini
  • Tromboncino (Zucchini)
  • Vining Petunias
  • French Hollyhock
  • Morning Glory (Bush)
  • Ornamental Grass
  • Pole Beans
  • Bush Beans
  • Basil
  • Dill 
  • Scallions
  • Sweet Corn
  • Bell Peppers
  • Hot Peppers
  • Marigolds
  • Sweet Potatoes
  • Potatoes (Red, saved from last year)
  • Cherry Tomatoes



Going to Seed (on purpose?):
  • Scallions
  • Bulb Onions
  • Oats (fall planted)


Blooming/Bloomed:
  • Spring bulbs
  • Irises
  • Clematis
  • Currant
  • Blackberries
  • Azalea


As you can see, I've had a busy spring.  I didn't put a list of failures, not because there haven't been any, but because they're sad and this is more fun.  I have a second community garden plot this year (smaller than the first, only 400 square feet) and I'm trying to plant much more around the house.  Don't give up on me yet, dear, faithful reader!  If previous years have taught me anything, it's that next year all of this will seem so doable that I'll simply have to expand.



No comments:

Post a Comment