Thursday, May 10, 2012

Good Things in the Garden


Some really good things have been happening in the garden lately, so I thought I'd share.
  1. R picked the first ripe strawberry from the bed in front of our house this afternoon.  It's fun to see how much he likes picking them, and exciting that he seems to actually remember it from last year.
  2. 
    Happy grapevine (background) surrounded by floppy asparagus
    The new grapevine is growing!
  3. Broccoli plant, meet foot.
    The broccoli plants are huge!  And we picked the first head today, several times bigger than last year's disappointing pickings.
  4. 
    Romaine lettuce head
    Valerie lettuce, and weeds
    The lettuce deluge continues.  But in new news, the romaine appears to be making heads after all.  After consulting my guinea pig - I mean taste-tester! - I have decided that commercial growers must discard those thick outer leaves I was picking before.  Which explains how they get the lettuce heads so darn clean!
  5. 
    R really likes to help with picking
    Happy spinach, with interplanted peppers
    The spinach is looking great - better than I've ever grown, thanks to the lovely long spring we've had.  R and I picked a bunch on Tuesday and used it to make yummy pizzas.  This was the first time we've tried any of it outside of salads, and it was really tasty!  It has a very spinachy appearance, and I was expecting it to be too bitter or overtly spinachy, but it is lovely.  We definitely want to grow this kind again next year.  (If I know what it is; I think it's Melody.)
  6. 
    One large celeriac - the rest are 2 inches tall
    The celeriac that sprouted last fall is quite large and is starting to make little flower buds.  Celeriac is a biennial, like carrots; it grows a bunch of foliage during the first year of its life, storing the energy produced by the leaves in a large root.  During the second year it uses that energy to produce flowers and seeds, so the best time to pick it is at the end of the first year.  (Don't ask me why I thought this was a fall crop, I honestly don't know!)  At any rate, I think I'm going to pull this one before the flowers go much further.  I don't know how much root it could possibly have grown over the winter, but I guess we'll find out!
  7. R helped find and photograph this ladybug
    I'm seeing so many ladybugs at the community garden this year!  R is fascinated by my claim that I like them because they eat other bugs.  He points them out to me every time we go and asks me if they eat other bugs.  When I say yes he replies, "I don't know why, dough," which is his way of asking for more information.  What can I say?  I don't know why, either!
  8. Another gardener at the community garden, M, planted a row of strawberries about this time last year.  It was too late to get any berries out of them then, but boy are they doing well this year!  I am definitely thinking about investing the time and space to plant some of my own.
  9. I saw the first pea blossom on one of the plants at the community garden this morning. Mmmm...

1 comment:

  1. Holy Cow! That is tons of stuff! I love R's statement/question about the ladybugs. That made me laugh out loud. Give me a shout if you ever want me to come by and take some lettuce off your hands. I was JUST thinking last night as we used our last leaves that I should get to the store this weekend for some more.

    ReplyDelete