Thursday, March 22, 2012

Planting Update

The weather last weekend was gorgeous, and I transplanted the first round of onions.  N and R also helped me get some lettuces and spinach in the ground.  I had hoped to do more, but I really got too much sun as it was, so I suppose it's good that my potatoes didn't arrive until Monday.  (At least, that's what I'll tell myself so I don't have to be angry.)  Unfortunately, Tuesday brought rain and clouds, and the soil at the community garden has been too soggy to do much in the rest of this week.

Here's how the plot looked after last weekend:


The curtain is covering my cabbage plants, as well as all of my broccoli seedlings.  The cabbage worm moths have been circling for a couple weeks now, and I'm hoping this will stop them from laying eggs on my plants.  The problem, of course, is that the curtain is just not nearly big enough to cover the broccoli once it's planted!

Since that photo was taken I've spread some additional mulch on the paths (trimmings from the shrubs in my yard), weeded and harrowed that front bed, and hauled in some fallen branches from the woods nearby to sort of fill in that trench at the front a little.  That front bed is supposed to be planted in peas right now, but I haven't gotten around to doing it.  Hopefully I'll get around to it tomorrow, although I'm starting to think this will be a disappointing pea season because of the heat.  If the ground has dried enough I also plan to plant the potatoes tomorrow.  Yay!  (Why to I get so excited about planting the potatoes?  I just don't know!)

No comments:

Post a Comment