Friday, March 18, 2011

Oh, You'll Never Guess

So, the plumbers came back today and hooked up the water while N and I were at work.  It works great and tastes much better than the water that went through the temporary hose (which was kinda like brushing your teeth in a tire).  They attached the new supply line to one of the pipes coming out of the hot water heater - which is fine - except that they attached it to what used to be the pipe hot water came out of.  I had to think about this for a minute.  As far as the hot water heater is concerned, it doesn't matter which direction cold water comes in from or which direction hot water goes out of, so by attaching the supply to the former "out" pipe, they reversed the hot and cold pipes for our entire house.

At first I thought, "Oh, well, I guess we can live with that."  Until I realized that this means hot water comes out of our outdoor hose faucet.  Nope, that won't work.

Fortunately (kinda?) they have to come back on Monday anyway because the city inspector requires 48 hours' notice to come check out the new supply line before the water meter can be re-buried.  (So much for wanting my tree roots covered back up.)  N talked to them and they said it won't take too long on Monday morning to switch the supply line to the opposite side.

Over the weekend I'll try to write some actual gardening posts on here.  I swear, fun things are happening with my plants, too! 

No comments:

Post a Comment