Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Garlic Progress


Well, for anyone who's wondering, my garlic survived the winter despite my failure to acquire proper mulch last year.  If you can see it in the picture, there are actually two types there: the hardneck variety near the bottom of the picture got off to a slower start last fall than the softneck variety that takes up most of the shot, but while it's still pretty small it seems just as green and healthy.  Both varieties have definitely perked up a lot since the weather has begun to warm and the spring rains have been rolling in.  They ones I planted in containers are looking good too.  I'm a little concerned that I've planted these too close together, so I'm going to wait another week or so and give them a good application of organic fertilizer.  (The white specks all over the ground are little bits of eggshell from my homemade compost, which I applied judiciously last fall to this area before planting here.)

I did find one plant while I was out inspecting that seemed to be growing very shallowly and a couple that were growing very close together.  I think when I planted them there were a few that I doubled up because the cloves were small.  I dug the shallow one up and stuck it back in a little deeper, but I'm curious if anyone reading this knows if it's a bad idea to add a layer of compost to bury them a little deeper as they grow. 

I can just taste these already!

2 comments:

  1. Cool! I'm so interested in this growing garlic thing. Does the taste get stronger the longer you leave it in the ground? Are they like chili peppers that change flavor so you have to pick them at the point when they are at the hotness you like?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, to be honest I really don't know. I've never read anything like that, but I've also never successfully grown garlic before. (Four small heads in 2009 don't really count; I picked them when the tops started to wilt and they tasted like garlic to me!) I have heard that carrots are supposed to get sweeter if you leave them in the ground past the first frost. I will have to investigate that sometime later in the season, I guess.

    ReplyDelete