Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Community Garden Plot Peeping

Today after work I took R over to the community garden where I'm renting my plot to check it out.  I was interested to see that it doesn't appear to have been tilled in the fall, though all the fences and structures were removed and it looks like it was mowed.  The reason I'm pretty sure it wasn't tilled is that it is still covered with plant stubs, and I can see mounds where last year's tenants had planted rows of plants, as well as the odd brick or knocked-over stake laying on the ground.  There are a couple of big piles of stakes / scrap wood laying in the woods off to the side of the plots; I wonder if people left them there to re-use next year, or if that is what the parks people do with abandoned fences and such?

I've visited the gardens before during the growing season - in 2009 I was considering getting a plot for 2010 and went out there and walked around.  One of the gardeners working in his plot saw me walking around with R (a baby at the time) and offered me some tomatoes.  There were a lot of plots that seemed to have been abandoned; I chose mine this year to be close to the best-kept ones from my memory.  When I visited today I found that it is a little closer to the wood-line than I remembered, so I'll have to keep that in mind when laying out the planting.  The woods are sort of on the western side, so the best sun will probably be from the south.  I'll try to lay out the plants so that the tallest are to the north and west.

I found a way to post the plan for my home garden as a separate page attached to this blog.  When I get a draft for the community garden plot I'll add that as well.  I'm really excited about this!  I think R was a little confused when his big old preggo mommy started bouncing and skipping around, but he decided to just go with it.  Yay!

No comments:

Post a Comment