Friday, October 1, 2010

Update on Fall Planting

In an earlier post I mentioned that I'd planted some stevia plants that were taking a long time to get up to size. I'm starting to wonder if they just don't get enough sunlight in the spot they're in (which has been fine for many other sun-loving plants!) Here they are circa last week or so, kind of falling down in their pots. I've never grown stevia before, but it doesn't look like that on Google Images. Does anyone out there have any experience with this plant?



Oh, and by the way, here is a pretty little celery plant that I planted in that same round of fall planting. I planted several old celery seeds after a discussion in the comments section of an earlier post; after a couple weeks I concluded that they hadn't germinated. Then we had several days of very wet weather and up they came! They've been so happy that I decided to transplant them into my cold frame bed and see what happens. The roots were nicely developed and just starting to reach the outsides of the pots. The leaves look a lot like parsley, but bigger (that's a four-inch pot, if you were wondering).


Recently I plopped some spinach seeds in the ground, too, but then the squirrels and maybe the cats did an awful lot of digging in there, so I don't know if they'll come up or not. I wanted to plant some carrots, cauliflower, and kale this fall, but I think it may be too late. I still have a few carrots that I planted last spring - I have read that they are supposed to get sweeter after the first frost, so I am saving them at least until then. (I know I'm rambling a lot tonight, but did you know that carrots are a biennel plant? One day it started really bothering me that I didn't know where carrot seeds come from - well that's because I always picked them in the first year, before they flowered!)

No comments:

Post a Comment