Friday, August 20, 2010

Compost Gift


I have been meaning to post this for some time - it is a big bag of compost given to me by N's uncle T. We went to visit their homestead in PA for Father's Day, where they have a huge garden with beautiful soil. (Oh, my soil envy knows no bounds!) I watched my 5-year-old niece's feet sink into the nice, soft, soil and disappear. They used to run a CSA from this garden, so they really know what they are doing.

I am pretty certain that T makes his compost with manure from local animals. They are surrounded by farms, including many Amish households, so it is easy to get manure. Here it is not so easy to find, and I am always a bit reluctant to bring in manure to my compost pile, knowing that it will be only several yards away from my neighbor's home.

Anyway, T. said I should put it in a raised bed and plant something there that I want to just grow and grow. I think I'll put it where my tomatoes were and plant my garlic in there this fall. I sure would like to have some luck with my garlic next year!

1 comment:

  1. Remember that Freecycle ad offering a truck-load of manure to be picked up "as soon as possible". That was funny. But seriously, it does seem hard to get manure in the city.

    ReplyDelete