Sunday, April 11, 2010

Strawberry Blossoms


I noticed a couple days ago that my strawberry plants were starting to flower. Strawberries are such amazing plants! They grow like weeds, bear beautiful flowers, and then make the most delicious fruits.

I think I'm going to put some kind of insecticide on mine this year. Last year we probably ate one fruit out of five because the others were so bug-eaten. We had thrips, strawberry beetles, and strawberry slugs all taking a portion. A local pick-your-own farm that does a lot of strawberries and practices IPM basically said that they could never get away with not spraying strawberries. I'm not sure what to use, though. Any suggestions?

These ones are already starting to turn down with the weight of the forming fruit!

4 comments:

  1. I hope you'll post pictures of the strawberries, if the insecticides work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. IPM=Integrated Pest Management;
    sort of a way of saying "we TRY not to use chemicals"

    ReplyDelete