Sunday, April 4, 2010

Sprouts

Happy Easter!

Yesterday while finishing construction of the new bed I saw the spinach and lettuce seeds I planted last weekend have come up in my cold frame bed. (Which isn't actually enclosed this year due to some much-needed maintenance.) I planted so late, I hope I can still get a little to eat before it gets too hot and they go to seed. Spring here is very brief and I have had a really hard time getting spinach or romaine lettuce.




This little guy is leftover from last fall. Doesn't he look happy? I don't have the hang of fall planting yet, so I planted too late last year and this little guy only had enough time to sprout and grow about 6 leaves. It just feels wrong planting when it's 85 degrees outside, doesn't it?

2 comments:

  1. Yep! That's my problem in Florida-- It just feels wrong planting when it's 85 degrees outside.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm curious, Susan, do you ever try growing stuff like lettuce and spinach through the winter?

    ReplyDelete